The Food and Agriculture: A Global Conversation symposium will take place on April 24, 2018, at UC Davis. The conference will bring together leaders in academia, industry, and the media to provide participants with scientific information about agriculture, nutrition, and food security. It will spark collaborations between attendees that will enhance the public discourse of scientific issues.
The symposium is free and open to the public. Please pre-register and bring your ticket to the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-ifal-symposium-food-and-agriculture-a-global-conversation-tickets-43680899747
Tentative Schedule 2018 Symposium; Institute for Food and Agricultural Literacy (IFAL):
9:00am -- 9:05am
Opening Remarks Professor Pam Ronald, Distinguished Professor, Department of Plant Pathology, University of California, Davis; Director, IFAL
9:05am -- 9:30am
Keynote Speaker Ms. Ertharin Cousin*, J.D., Former Executive Director, World Food Programme, United Nations; Tentative title: "Achieving food security and nutrition in an era of conflict and climate change"
9:30am -- 11:00am
Agriculture, Food Security and Human Health: How to Ethically and Sustainably Feed a Growing Population
- Professor Anne Barnhill*, Research Scholar, Berman Institute of Bioethics, Johns Hopkins University
- Dr. Clare Narrod*, Research Scientist and Manager, Risk Analysis Program, Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- Dr. Steve Savage*, Independent Consultant, POP Agriculture Podcast, Applied Mythology Blog
- Moderator: Dr. Christine Bruhn*, Cooperative Extension Specialist, Food Science and Technology, University of California, Davis
11:00am -- 11:25am
Coffee and Networking Break
11:25am -- 11:55am
Diversified Breeding: Techniques That Look to the Future
- Professor David Mackill*, Adjunct Professor, Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis
- Professor Richard Michelmore*, Director, Genome Center, and Plant Sciences professor, University of California, Davis
- Professor Tony Shelton*, Professor of Entomology, Associate Director of International Programs, Cornell University
- Moderator:Dr. Gurdev Khush*, World Food Prize Laureate 1996
12:00pm -- 1:15pm
Lunch and Networking
1:15pm -- 3:45pm
What is Sustainable Farming, and What Practices are Used on Your Farm to Make it Sustainable?
- Moderator: Raoul Adamchak*, Market Garden / CSA Coordinator, Student Farm, University of California, Davis
3:45pm -- 4:05pm
Coffee and Networking Break
4:05pm -- 5:35pm
Fact Checking and Storytelling: What is Really Behind Science Communication?
- Moderator: Jane Metcalfe*, Co-Founder Wired Magazine
5:35pm -- 6:05pm
Student Talk Showcase and Science Communicator Awards (3 student talks)
6:05pm -- 6:15pm
Concluding Remarks Shannon Albers, Program, Educational and Outreach Coordinator, IFAL
Co-sponsored by the UC Office of the President Global Food Initiative, the Innovation Institute for Food and Health, the Cornell Alliance for Science, the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean's Office Programmatic Initiative.
More information http://www.cropgeneticsinnovation.org/2018-ifal-symposium/
- - - - - - - - - -
[For past Plant Sciences news, go to https://news.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/]