Hemp Breeding and Seed Production Course — October 27–28, 2020
Registration is open for the UC Davis Seed Biotechnology Center’s second annual “Hemp Breeding and Seed Production” course, which will be held October 27–28, 2020 in Davis, California.
Hemp Breeding and Seed Production is a two-day course designed to enhance the knowledge of professionals working on hemp improvement and propagation. The course covers hemp seed production topics such as flowering, pollination, seed development, harvesting and certification. Course participants will also learn about hemp genomics, genetics, sex expression, types of cultivars with corresponding breeding schemes and intellectual property protection options.
Instructors include experts from the public and private sectors, and course material will be delivered in an interactive format with lectures and discussions.
The debut course offering in 2019 generated great interest. It was attended by 165 professionals, the majority of which were from the U.S. Attendees were also from Argentina, Canada, Israel, Netherlands and New Zealand.
- Hemp reproductive biology
- Genetics and genomics
- Genetic diversity
- Chemistry, Chemotypes
- Types of cultivars and breeding schemes
- Biology and physiology of seed development
- Seed production flowering, pollination, seed development, harvesting
- Seed Certification
- Intellectual property protection
Taught by experts from both industry and academia. A great chance to interact with experts in the field.
- Kent Bradford, UC Davis
- Charlie Brummer, UC Davis
- Rale Gjuric, UC Davis
- John Palmer, UC Davis
- Allen Van Deynze, UC Davis
- Amanda Vondras, UC Davis
- John Yoder, UC Davis
- Lawrence B. Smart, Cornell University
- Nicholas Stromberg, Beacon Hemp
- K. Bear Reel, Charlotte's Web, Inc.
- Chris Holly, Cooley LLP
- Daniel Knauss, Cooley LLP
(Most are confirmed for 2020 course)
Instructor bios: http://sbc.ucdavis.edu/Courses/Hemp_Breeding_and_Seed_Production/
$1,050 USD: Register before September 15, 2020
$1,150 USD: Register September 16 and later
Registration and Program Information
Visit http://sbc.ucdavis.edu/Courses/Hemp_Breeding_and_Seed_Production/ for full course information and registration details.
For questions about the course or sponsorships, contact Julie Tillman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is your company or organization interested in sponsoring the Hemp Breeding and Seed Production course? Learn about sponsorship opportunities here.
(Article by Julie Tillman, Seed Biotechnology Center, UC Davis.)
- Li Tian and Cameron Carter: Co-directors of the UC Davis Cannabis and Hemp Research Center. January 2020.
- UC Davis completes new hemp breeding and seed production course. November 2019.
- University of California hemp research already yielding results. November 2019.
- UC Davis partners with DEA-approved company to conduct cannabis research. August 2019.
- Hemp as a California crop; UC Davis partners in research agreement. March 2019.
- Cannabis sativa; the plant and its impact on people – new graduate course at UC Davis. September 2018.