UC Davis Completes New Hemp Breeding and Seed Production Course
Filling a Need in the Growing Hemp Industry
Contributing to fill a critical need for knowledge in the fast-growing hemp industry, the UC Davis Seed Biotechnology Center completed a two-day course on Hemp Breeding and Seed Production in Davis, California, October 29–30. The course generated great interest. It was attended by 165 professionals, the majority of which were from the U.S. Also represented were Argentina, Canada, Israel, Netherlands and New Zealand.
The UC Davis Hemp Breeding and Seed Production course was designed to enhance the knowledge of professionals working on hemp improvement and propagation. The course covered hemp seed production topics such as flowering, pollination, seed development, harvesting and certification. Course participants also learned about hemp genomics, genetics, sex expression, types of cultivars with corresponding breeding schemes and intellectual property protection options.
- Hemp reproductive biology
- Genetics and genomics
- Genetic diversity
- Chemotypes, Chemistry
- Types of cultivars and breeding schemes
- Biology and physiology of seed development
- Seed production flowering, pollination, seed development, harvesting
- Seed Certification
- Intellectual property protection
This course was taught by experts from both industry and academia. The instructor list included:
- Kent Bradford, Rale Gjuric, John Palmer, Allen Van Deynze, Amanda Vondras, and John Yoder (all UC Davis)
- Larry Smart (Cornell University)
- K. Bear Reel (Charlotte's Web, Inc)
- Nicholas Stromberg (Beacon Hemp)
- Chris Holly and Daniel Knauss (both Cooley LLP)
The Seed Biotechnology Center is housed within the Department of Plant Sciences at UC Davis. Please follow the Seed Biotechnology Center on Facebook and subscribe to the UC Davis SBC email list to stay up to date on future course and program dates.
Additional Information on Cannabis and Hemp from UC Davis
- University of California hemp research already yielding results. October 2019.
- Plant Sciences website: UC Davis Cannabis and Hemp – Plants to Products Research.
- UC Davis website: Cannabis and Hemp Research Center.
- UC Davis partners with DEA-approved company to conduct cannabis research. August 2019.
- Hemp as a California Crop: UC Davis partners in research agreement. March 2019.
- Cannabis sativa: The plant and its impact on people – new graduate course at UC Davis. September 2018.