Director Seed Biotechnology Center
Associate Director Plant Breeding Center
- Academic Personnel
Dr. Allen Van Deynze is the Director of the Seed Biotechnology Center and Associate Director of the Plant Breeding Center at University of California, Davis. He has a Ph.D in plant breeding from University of Guelph, Canada. As part of the SBC’s mission to serve as a liaison between public institutions and seed industry, Allen is responsible for developing, coordinating and conducting research and generating and disseminating scientific and informational content for the Seed Biotechnology Center’s and Plant Breeding Center’s educational and outreach programs. His research focuses on developing and integrating genomics into plant breeding of California and African crops. He has programs on breeding for disease resistance and quality in pepper and spinach, and development and application of genomics in crops. With Dr. Kent Bradford he co-developed and is organizer for the Plant Breeding Academysm and past chair of the US Plant Breeding Coordinating Committee. He has been involved in International and National policy including US Regulations for Biotechnology. He is an instructor for the African Plant Breeding Academy and Scientific Director for the African Orphan Crops Consortium.
- PhD University of Guelph Canada, 1993
- 2019 UC Davis Excellence in Research award
- 2018 International Pepper Conference Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2016 National Council of Commercial Plant Breeders Public Breeder Award
- 2015 Illumina Greater Good Award
- 2014 National Association of Plant Breeders Service Award.
- 2011 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary’s Honor Award-Team award with Solanaceae, Barley and Wheat Coordinated Agricultural Projects.
- National Association of Plant Breeding