Please note: To view videos listed below, please use Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer, as the videos will not display in Chrome or Safari due to default security settings implemented by those browsers.
2020 Fall Promotions Seminar Series - Organized by Maeli Melotto
Wednesdays, 12:10-1:00 pm, seminar delivered via Zoom (seminar announcements will have login information)
- August 19 | Diane Beckles | Integrative approaches to studying plant responses to challenging environments: from seed to postharvest
- August 26 | Georgia Drakakaki | Plant cell dynamics and cell wall development during plant growth and stress response
- August 28 | Li Tian | Unraveling and leveraging phenolic and carotenoid metabolism for crop improvement *
- September 2 | Maeli Melotto | Cross-kingdom molecular battles in the phyllosphere
- September 9 | Cameron Pittelkow | Towards systems-level sustainability in agronomy: balancing production and environmental goals
- September 16 | Allen Van Deynze | Breed local and have global impact
- September 23 | Heiner Lieth | Horticultural Crop Production in Partial Shade of Solar Photovoltaic Panels
- September 30 | Carlos Crisosto | A Flavorful Career, 30 Years From Fruits to Nuts
- October 7 | Brad Hanson | Weed Management Research and Extension (everywhere I go, I see weeds)
- October 14 | Mingcheng Luo | Reference sequence assemblies for large and complex wheat and highly heterozygous walnut genomes.
- October 21 | Steven Knapp | Genome-Informed Strategies for Increasing Genetic Gain and Accelerating Cultivar Development in Strawberry
- October 28 | Patrick Brown | Nitrogen Management in Perennial Agroecosystems: Biological Principles, Regulatory Guidance and Barriers to Change
- November 4 | Gail Taylor | Environmental Plant Sciences to address the global challenges of food and energy security in a changing climate
- November 11 - University Holiday - Veteran's Day
- November 18 | Kelsey Wood | PhD Exit Seminar: Effector prediction and resistance gene identification in the lettuce-lettuce downy mildew pathosystem
- November 25 | Mengyuan Xiao | PhD Exit Seminar: Isolation and characterization of Tg1 (tenacious glume1), a primary domestication gene in wheat
- December 2 | Stefan Petrach | Genetics of strawberry postharvest fruit quality and resistance to necrotrophic fungi
- December 9 | Dr. Lior Blank, ARO, Israel | Data driven and multi-scale approach for disease and pest management
- December 16 | Dominique Pincot | Exit Seminar | The geneology of the cultivated strawberry and host resistance in strawberry-vascular wilt pathosystems
- January 15 | Lucy Kerhoulas, Humboldt State University | "Crown-scale Physiology and Ecology of Tall Sitka Spruce"
- January 29 | Thomas Tai, USDA-ARS Crops Pathology and Genetics Research Unit & UC Davis Plant Sciences | "Generation and characterization of novel genetic variation in rice"
- February 5 | David Acker, Iowa State University | "How Can School Gardens Contribute to Student Success? A Case From Rural Uganda"
- February 12 | Mohsen B. Mesgaran, Department of Plant Sciences | “A deeper look at weeds with deep learning”
- February 19 | Juan M. Debernardi, Postdoc, Department of Plant Sciences | “ A new technology that greatly improves regeneration efficiency of transgenic plants in multiple species”
- February 26 | Celine Caseys, Postdoctoral researcher working with Dan Kliebenstein | “Plants vs Botrytis: Quantitative interactions drive the disease outcome across the plant kingdom”
- March 4 | Mengyuan Xiao, Department of Plant Sciences | "Pepper Breeding for Fruit Size and Sunscald Tolerance in Organic Environments"
- March 11 | Ella Katz, Post doc, Department of Plant Sciences | "Genetics, Geography and Environment shape glucosinolatevariation in Arabidospisthaliana" | Video
- September 11 | Amélie Gaudin | "Cross-scale insights into the development of sustainable and resilient agroecosystems" | Video *
- September 25 | Dr. Astrid Volder, Associate Professor, Dept. of Plant Sciences and Courtney Nichols, Ph.D. student, Horticulture and Agronomy Graduate Group | “Current Research in Root-Soil Dynamics”
- October 2 | Dr. Arnold J. Bloom - Distinguished Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Dr. Xiaoxiao Shi - Postdoc, Dept. Plant Sciences | “Dangerous Ideas about Plant Carbon/Nitrogen Relations” | Video *
- October 16 | Dr. Amanda Crump, Assistant Professor of Teaching, Dept. Plant Sciences and Ana Zepeda, Graduate Student, International Agricultural Development | “Learning About Resilient Communities” | Video
- October 23 | Dr. Amélie Gaudin - Assistant Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Jennifer Schmidt - PhD Student, Horticulture and Agronomy | “Conducting the Rhizosphere Symphony: How Plants Change Their Tune”
- October 30 | Dr. Steve Knapp, Professor, Dept. of Plant Sciences and Dr. Michael Hardigan, Postdoc, Dept. of Plant Sciences | "Genome-Informed Breeding in Strawberry"
- November 6 | Dr. Richard Michelmore - Distinguished Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Dr. Kyle Fletcher - Postdoc, Dept. Plant Sciences | "The Influenza Paradigm for More Durable Disease Resistance: So Many Genomes…So Many Genes…So Little Time...”
- November 13 | Dr. Valerie Eviner - Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Evan Batzer - PhD Candidate, Ecology | “Unraveling ecological complexity: Improving our ability to understand, predict and manage plant communities and ecosystems”
- November 20 | Dr. Mary Cadenasso - Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Jasmin Green - PhD Student, Ecology | “Turf wars: Implications of drought tolerant landscaping for water conservation and heat in Sacramento”
- December 4 | Dr. Troy Magney - Assistant Professor, Dept. Plant Sciences and Eliot Meeker - PhD Student, Chemical Engineering | “Shedding a New Light on Global Photosynthesis: From Satellite to the Leaf”
- April 10 | Ecophysiologists in PLS | "Future research, collaborations (and cries for help); flash talks by ecophysiologists in Plant Sciences"
- April 17 | Gislene Ganade | "Across scale restoration strategies for tropical dry lands"
- April 24 | Tom Buckley-Dongliang Xiong | "Adventures in irreproducibility: stomatal responses to water status in ABA mutants"
- May 1 | Various | "Plant Sciences grad students flash talks (5 mins) and Graduate Research Presentation Award"
- May 8 | Michael Rawls | "Effects of dormant drought stress on Almond (Prunis dulcis) bloom; Or, What if it doesn’t rain in the winter?"
- May 15 | Astrid Volder | "Perennial root systems: how the upside affects the downside"
- May 22 | Gary Muehlbauer | "Genetics of tillering and leaf patterning in barley"
- May 29 | Katie Driver | "Bearded Sprangletop Control in California Rice"
- March 13 | Dr. Marcia DeLonge, Union of Concerned Scientists | "Turning research into advocacy: Case studies in agroecology"
- March 6 | Dr. Julie Dawson, University of Wisconsin - Madison | "Seed to Kitchen: evaluating culinary quality in organic variety development"
- February 20 | Dr. Atena Haghighattalab, University of Minnesota | "Crawling out of my silo: High-throughput phenotyping of large breeding nurseries"
- February 6 | Steffen Abel, Director, Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry | "Phosphate-metal interactions govern root development" | Video *
- January 23 | Dr. Oliver Dong, Ronald Lab, Dept. of Plant Pathology, UC Davis | "Marker-free carotenoid-enriched rice generated through high-efficiency targeted gene insertion using CRISPR-Cas9"
- December 12 | Allen Van Deynze and Theresa Hill | "Mechanical harvesting is essential for the processing industry"
- December 5 | Maeli Melotto & Cristian Jacob | "Breeding for enhanced crop safety: A case study of lettuce and human pathogens"
- November 28 | Lucas McKinnon & Philip Day | "Factors involved in the targeting, assembly and processing activity of chloroplast membrane proteins" | * From the laboratory of the late Prof. Kentaro Inoue
- November 13 | Bruce Linquist & Daniela Carrijo, Plant Sciences | "Irrigation management in rice for multiple environmental outcomes"
- November 7 | John Yoder and Yaxin Wang, Plant Sciences | "Subterranean signaling between host and parasitic plants: the role of redox reactions"
- October 31 | Ken Shackel & Vadim Volkov, Plant Sciences | "Nanoporous silicon water potential sensors: Have we found the Holy Grail?"
- October 24 | Mohsen Mesgaran & Maor Matzrafi, Plant Sciences | "Exploitation of sex for weed management" | Video *
- October 18 | Jorge Dubcovsky, Plant Sciences | "Unraveling hidden variation in polyploid wheat using sequenced mutant populations" | Juan M. Debernardi | "Using mutants and transgenic plants to understand wheat spike development"
- October 10 | Georgia Drakakaki & Michel Rosquete, Plant Sciences | "Endomembrane dynamics in cell wall build-up and plant stress response"
- October 3 | Professor Zvi Peleg, Hebrew University of Jerusalem | "Saving roots for rainy days"
- September 26 | Professor Graham D. Farquhar, Australian National University | "Optimal water use and the intersection of photorespiration and N metabolism" | Video *
- September 19 | Valerie Eviner, UC Davis | "Improving our ability to understand and manage ecosystems by linking population, community, ecosystem and landscape ecology" | Video *
- September 12 | Leslie Roche, UC Davis | "Sustaining working rangelands" | Video *
- August 29 | Markita del Carpio Landry, UC Berkeley | "High aspect ratio nanomaterials enable delivery of functional genetic material without DNA integration in mature points" | Video *
- June 6 | Markus Stetter, Plant Sciences | "Genetic constraints hindered amaranth domestication despite convergent trait evolution"
- May 30 | Joanna Solins, Plant Sciences | "Riparian vegetation to urban stream conditions"
- May 23 | Blandine Nacoulma, UC Davis | "Why do elephants attack baobab (Adansonia digitate L.) in protected areas of Burkina Faso? Towards a strategy for species conservation"
- May 16 | John McKay, Colorado State University | "Commercializing genetic discoveries for maximizing sustainable production of Cannabis and Maize"
- May 9 | Paula Rodrigues Oblessuc, Plant Sciences | "New insights in the growth-defense tradeoffs in plants"
- May 2 | Bruce Lampinen, Plant Sciences | "Understanding limitations to yield of almond and walnut" | Video
- April 25 | Tom Buckley, Plant Sciences | "Using models as research tools in plant ecophysiology" | Video *
- April 18 | Dan Kliebenstein, Plant Sciences | "The illusion of simplicity in nutrition breeding"
- April 11 | Jorge Dubcovsky, Plant Sciences | "Using sequenced mutant populations for wheat breeding" | Video *
- March 14 | Tim Brodribb, University of Tasmania, Australia | "Visualizing Drought-induced Hydraulic Failure in Leaves, Stems and Roots, in Real Time" | Video
- March 7 | Elisabeth Forrestel, UC Davis | "Evolutionary Perspectives on Grassland Structure and Function"
- February 28 | Emilio Laca, UC Davis | "A Practical Model of Grazing Management to Control Invasive Plants" | Video
- February 21 | Leonie Bentsink, Department of Plant Sciences, Wageningen University and Research | "How Does Nature Regulate the Seed Life Span?"
- February 14 | Bob Hutmacher, UC Davis | "Fusarium Resistance Challenges in Cotton, and Drought and Salinity Research at West Side REC"
- February 7 | Kent Bradford, UC Davis | "Understanding Biological Variation"
- January 31 | Dave Grantz, UC Riverside | "Effects of Particulate Air Pollutants on Plant Water Relations"
- January 24 | Charlie Brummer, UC Davis | “Can We Improve Alfalfa Yield? Lessons From Breeding and Genomics”
- January 10 | Eduardo Blumwald, UC Davis | “Roles of NHX-type Cation/H+ antiporters in cellular ion and pH homeostasis” | Video *
- Sept 6 | Matthew Gilbert, UC Davis | "How can we adapt crops to water limited environments" | Video
- October 25 | Parsa Tehranchian, Postdoc research Associate, Marie Jasieniuk | "Multiple herbicide resistance in California Italian ryegrass"
- November 1 | Annabelle Damerum, Ph.D. Student, Gail Taylor lab | "Improving the shelf life and nutritional quality of lettuce"
- November 8 | Elizabeth Arnold, Ph.D. student, Gail Taylor lab | "Manipulating the leaf microbiome for improved leafy salads"
- November 15 | Mariano Gallo, Ph.D. student, Al-Khatib/Hanson lab | "Walnut response to simulated rice herbicide drift"
- November 22 | Libby Rowland. Ph.D. student, Gail Taylor lab | "Improving Quality and Shelf Life of Culinary Herbs via Irrigation Scheduling"
- November 29 | Jeff Dahlberg, Kearney Agricultural Research & Extension (KARE) Director | "Sorghum in California? Why the Interest?”
- December 6 | Feras Almasri, Ph.D. student, Al-Khatib Lab | "Towards the search for Methyl Bromide alternatives"
* Video only available to Plant Sciences faculty