Professor and Cooperative Extension Specialist - Russell L. Rustici Endowed Specialist in Cooperative Extension in Rangeland Watershed Science
- Ph.D., Oklahoma State University; Water Resources, 1995
- M.S., Oklahoma State University; Rangeland Ecology and Management, 1991
- B.S., Oklahoma State University; Rangeland Ecology and Management, 1989
Research interests and expertise:
I am interested in research-based outreach to enhance natural resources and sustain productive agricultural enterprises on rangelands. I am particularly interested in conducting research at the complex spatial scales that management decisions and ecosystem responses occur. I attempt to integrate undergraduate and graduate education, research, and outreach in all of my projects. I am interested in almost all aspects of rangeland ecosystems. In collaboration with many partners, I have examined plant, water, soil, and animal response to range management activities such as grazing, roads, prescribed fire, oak thinning, and restoration.
- Waterborne Microbial Pollutants ñ Quantifying Background and Cattle Contributions on Rangeland Watersheds. Russell L. Rustici Rangeland and Cattle Research Endowment, USDA Forest Service.
- Rangeland Health on Public Grazing Lands. USDA Forest Service.
- Adaptive Rangeland Decision-Making. USDA Rangeland Research Program, USDA Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program.
- Silent Straws: Understanding Water Demands and Economic Tradeoffs with Woody Encroachment in Californiaís Oak Woodlands. UC ANR Competitive Grants Program.
- Rangeland Ecology and Management; PLS 130 (winter quarter)
External activities that contribute to scholarship:
- California Certified Rangeland Manager #79; California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. 1999+
- Certified Rangeland Professional #00-104; Society for Range Management. 1999+
Prizes, Awards, Honors:
- Rangeland Conservation Impact Award, California Rangeland Trust; 2016
- James H. Meyer Distinguished Achievement Award, UC Davis Academic Federation; 2015
- UC Cooperative Extension Outstanding Team Distinguished Service Award; 2014
- Eric Bradford and Charlie Rominger Agricultural Sustainability Leadership Award; 2012
- Western Extension Directors' Award of Excellence, UCCE Rangeland Watershed Program; 2012
- Outstanding Achievement Award for Research. Society for Range Management; 2011
- Outstanding Young Range Professional. Society for Range Management; 2000
Social media links:
- Water quality
- Range management