Specialist in Cooperative Extension
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis; Plant Biology, 1998
- M.S., University of California, Davis; Plant Ecology, 1981
- B.S., University of California, Davis; Nutrition Science/Biology, 1977
Research interests and expertise:
My research focuses on plant water relations and canopy development in nut tree crops. This has included work on impacts of deficit irrigation, pruning, and nutrition on canopy development and yield potential.
- Utilizing canopy light interception/yield potential data to improve management of almond; B.D. Lampinen, et al (Almond Board of California)
- New germplasm and training systems for high density catch frame almond systems; B.D. Lampinen, T.M. Gradziel (Almond Board of California)
- Field evaluation of almond varieties (Almond Board of California)
- Walnut orchard management: Pilot projects, field testing, adaptive research and problem solving with Cooperative Extension farm advisors and specialists; B.D. Lampinen, et al. (California Walnut Board)
- Evaluating new training systems for pistachio; B.D. Lampinen, et al (California Pistachio Research Board)
- Updating information on evapotranspiration and crop coefficients for resource efficient irrigation management of mature citrus orchards in the San Joaquin Valley; D. Zaccaria, et al (CDFA Block Grant)
- Pistachio salinity ET project; D. Zaccaria, et al (California Pistachio Research Board and CDFA)
Outreach and Extension:
My outreach and extension program involves all of the walnut, almond and pistachio farm advisors in California. I frequently do farm calls with advisors and speak at their summer and winter meetings. I am also involved in the annual Almond Board Conference as well as the annual Walnut Research Conference. We are also alternating almond, walnut and pistachio short courses for growers on a three-year cycle.
External activities that contribute to scholarship:
- I am a reviewer for numerous journals including California Agriculture, HortScience, Annals of Botany, etc.
Prizes, Awards, Honors
- UC Cooperative Extension Presidential Endowed Chair for Tree Nut, Soil Science and Plant Water Relations; 2017
- Canopy management
- Water relations
- Plant physiology