- Plant Sciences Executive Committee - At-Large Representative
- Ph.D., Utah State University; Biology, 1999
- B.S., James Madison University; Biology, 1994 (minors in Chemistry and Mathematics)
Research interests and expertise:
Physiology, ecology and biophysics of plant responses and adaptations to environmental stress and change. Plant water relations, water transport, stomatal biology, gas exchange (transpiration, photosynthesis, respiration), photosynthetic resource economics, process-based and optimization-based modeling of plant function.
- Developing and testing a novel sensor for leaf relative water content. Funded by FFAR; collaboration with Omeed Momeni in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Colleen Mills (incoming PhD student).
- Examining the effect of leaf hairs (trichomes) on leaf boundary layer conductance. Funded by NSF; collaboration with colleagues at UCLA, University of Arkansas and UC Irvine, and Marshall Pierce (MS student).
- A synoptic approach to physiological breeding for drought tolerance in bean. Funded by USDA-NIFA; collaboration with Matthew Gilbert, Paul Gepts and Troy Magney.
- Quantifying the nature of hydraulic risk in the context of stomatal optimization theory. Unfunded. Collaboration with Brian Bailey and Ethan Frehner (PhD student).
- Enhancing leafy crop yield by increasing stomatal density and reducing clustering. Unfunded. Project led by Ian Boyles (PhD student); collaboration with Gail Taylor.
- Phenotyping diverse coast redwood and giant sequoia accessions for drought tolerance related traits. Collaboration with David Neale, Jill Wegrzyn and others.
- Integrated physiology and ecology of adaptation to temperature and water stress in eucalypts. Funded by NSF; collaboration with colleagues at the University of Wisconsin and the University of Sydney.
- Physiology of environmental stresses in plants; PLS 157 (spring quarter, even years)
- Plant propagation; PLS 171 (spring quarter)
External activities that contribute to scholarship:
- Chief Editor, AoB Plants
- Editorial Review Board Member, Plant, Cell & Environment
- Ad hoc reviewer for 37 journals
Prizes, Awards, Honors
- Dean's award for outstanding research achievement, Faculty of Agriculture and Environment, University of Sydney (2015)
- Graduate Research Assistant of the Year, Utah State University (Robins Award) (1999)
- Graduate Student Researcher of the Year, College of Science, Utah State University (1999)
- Willard C. Eccles Foundation Fellowship, College of Science, Utah State University (1994-1997)
- Vice-presidential scholarship, Utah State University (declined) (1994)
- Summa cum laude (highest honors), Bachelor of Science degree, James Madison University (1994)
- Award for Excellence in Botany, Biology Department, James Madison University (1994)
Social media links:
- Plant water relations
- Stomatal biology
- Irrigation scheduling
- Leaf biophysics
- Mechanistic modeling
- Optimization theory
- Environmental physiology
- Stress physiology
- Physiological ecology
- Subalpine forests